Slouching is a common habit, but did you know it can have far-reaching effects on your health?
Poor posture causes exhaustion and back pain, among other ailments that are experienced on a daily basis by so many people.
There are several relatable ways that bad posture can affect your health and wellbeing. Research, and perhaps your own personal experience, have shown that:
- Bad posture will strain your core and abdominal muscles, resulting in stiffness and lower back pain.
- Poor posture contributes to physical fatigue, as it forces the muscles to work harder to support the weight of your body.
- Sitting or standing with a slouch can affect the way you look, pushing the organs outwards to create a “pot belly” appearance.
- The organs can will experience poor circulation as a result of being squished by a hunched posture. In response, they will function less efficiently, often resulting in poor digestion.
Why Does Good Posture Matter?
Imagine how your day would be different with better posture. Would it mean a workout at the gym without lower back pain? Could it translate to better concentration at the office? Perhaps you will have the energy to do the things you love, enjoy a hobby or spend time with the kids.
The benefits of better posture can look different for each of us. Whatever those positive outcomes are for you, they have the means to improve your quality of life.
Changing posture for the better is accessible to all. You can be empowered knowing that powerful and long-term improvements to your health are within reach by practicing good posture.
Correct Posture Improves Energy Levels and Mood
Body-based psychology has shown that the health of the brain and the body are intertwined. While antidepressants and therapy are a proven combo when it comes to managing depression, supplementing your treatment routine with good posture may give you the upper hand when it comes to battling a mood disorder.
Biofeedback, a research journal focusing on psychophysiology, published a study demonstrating how changing one’s body posture to be more upright boosts both mood and energy levels. The simplicity of this solution means that improved energy levels are easily accessible by making good posture your daily habit.
Research done through the Harvard Business School backs these results up, showing that even just two minutes of holding a “confident” and “powerful” posture prompts levels of cortisol to decrease and testosterone levels to increase. That translates to a win for your wellbeing. Less cortisol means less muscle weakness. And more testosterone means better verbal memory and spatial abilities.
The Truweo: A Top Posture Brace
Now recognized as one of the best posture retraining tools on the market, the Truweo Posture Corrector is a great option for anyone looking to get their posture back on track. It’s been featured on multiple “Top 10” lists, plus it’s FDA approved.
A lot of positive feedback has been posted online from consumers regarding the Truweo‘s effectiveness. Reviewers have used it for managing herniated discs, general back pain and changing an unsightly slouch.
There is no metal back plate in the Truweo. Instead, there is a flexible neoprene back piece that runs along the spinal cord. This makes the brace comfortable enough to wear for several hours without restricting your movement the way a metal back plate would.
It’s not a bulky back brace, either. Customers have found they can easily wear it underneath their clothing.
The Truweo is constructed from latex-free fabrics that are soft against the skin. You won’t need to worry about sweat accumulating, either, as the fabrics are breathable. Neoprene reinforcements are strategically placed along the outside of the brace to ensure durability.
This back brace can be hand washed in cool water and hung to air dry overnight. The breathable, perforated fabric will dry quickly, but avoid running your brace through a machine dryer, as this may melt the neoprene.
Perhaps your posture has deteriorated because of modern life, an injury or lack of exercise. Regardless, with over 7,ooo positive customer reviews, the Truweo Posture Corrector can help retrain your posture and improve your overall wellbeing.
To help you decide if a posture corrector is right for you, we’ll explore these topics throughout the article:
- How Posture Works
- Can Posture Be Retrained?
- How a Posture Brace Works
- Will My Good Posture Last, Even When the Brace is Taken Off?
- When Not to Use a Posture Brace
- What Medical Conditions Should You See a Doctor For?
- How Long Does a Posture Brace Take to Fully Retrain Your Posture?
- Can a Posture Brace Retrain Core Muscles?
- Top Posture Brace Options
- Advantages of Better Posture
- Step-by-Step Instructions for Using a Posture Brace
- When Will You Start Your Posture Journey?
• How Posture Works
The body’s posture is normally supported by static muscle fibers. These static fibers are part of our skeletal muscles and excel at maintaining activities that require endurance, such as holding posture.
Good posture entails having the shoulders slightly back, the head vertical and your body weight evenly distributed. When this healthy posture is your daily habit, the static muscles work as they should.
Where so many of us run into trouble is when poor posture becomes a habit rather than good posture. It’s easy for this to happen because of modern life; we often turn our head downward while on our phones or slouch while driving.
Hunched posture and uneven distribution of weight make it difficult for the static muscles to hold the body. That’s when a second type of fibers, the phasic muscle fibers, join in to help.
However, phasic muscles require much more energy. Normally, the body relies on them for quick spurts of movement, not an all-day activity like posture support. But poor posture forces prolonged reliance on the phasic muscles, leading to fatigue.
• Can Posture Be Retrained?
Yes, you can retrain your posture by committing 14 to 30 days towards posture retraining. Your posture cannot be changed overnight, though. But when you put in the time, the results of your posture retraining will be long lasting.
• How a Posture Brace Works
A back straightener, sometimes called a posture corrector or back brace, applies pressure to hold the upper body in an upright position. The straps pull slightly back against the shoulders, and a back piece prevents slouching.
Over the next few weeks of wear, your muscle memory will be retrained. When worn as instructed, the new posture your back brace holds the body in will become your new normal.
• Will My Good Posture Last, Even When the Brace is Taken Off?
Yes, but only once the brace has been worn for the recommended length of time. To ensure your posture retraining has lasting effects, wear your posture corrector for no less than 14 to 30 days.
Throughout the retraining period, it is recommended to wear your back brace for 15 minutes each day, slowly increasing your wear time by an additional 15 minutes every couple of days. Work your way up to two hours per day.
By wearing your back straightener for a minimum of 14 to 30 days, for a minimum of 15 minutes each day, you will be providing optimal posture retraining to your body. Over time, new muscle memory will form based off of the good posture supported by your back brace.
After this, your posture corrector need only be worn on an as-needed basis. Every once in a while, you may wish to check that your posture is in tact by trying your brace on again.
Some wearers find that they rely on their back brace occasionally for activities that encourage slouching, such as while watching TV or driving a vehicle.
• When Not to Use a Posture Brace
Avoid wearing your posture brace:
- Overnight while sleeping.
- While bathing, showering or swimming.
- During activities that require lifting your arms above your head, such as rock climbing or aerobics.
- If your doctor has prescribed a medical back brace for you, wear the prescribed back brace rather than an over-the-counter brace like the Truweo.
• What Medical Conditions Should You See a Doctor For?
Some symptoms are an indication of an underlying illness rather than poor posture. If you are experiencing any combination of the following symptoms, check in with your doctor before ordering a back brace:
- You notice a tingling sensation or numbness in your arms and legs.
- Your back pain often becomes much worse in the evening.
- Along with back pain, you’re experiencing a fever and have lost weight without trying.
- Sometimes there is a shooting pain that runs down your legs or arms.
The following medical diagnoses also require support from a physician:
- Lumbar spinal injuries.
- Poor circulation linked to diabetes.
• How Long Does a Posture Brace Take to Fully Retrain Your Posture?
You can expect to fully retrain your posture in about 14 to 30 days. This entails wearing your posture brace for no less than 15 minutes per day during that time.
As a result, you’ll develop long-lasting good posture. Once your muscle memory has been retrained by the posture corrector, better posture will come naturally to you.
• Can a Posture Brace Retrain Core Muscles?
Core muscles include the abdominals and lower back muscles that connect to the pelvis or spinal cord. Strengthening the core is an essential part of improving your posture.
A quality posture brace is designed to improve core strength by encouraging the use of those core muscles – muscles that tend to atrophy when bad posture goes unchecked. Wear your posture corrector as directed to get the best results.
Wearing your back brace encourages the use of core muscles. As your core strengthens and the body grows used to relying on those muscles to maintain good posture, you can discontinue the use of your back straightener.
It is ideal to compliment your posture retraining with exercise and stretches. Something as simple as a daily walk each morning before work or practicing yoga can help improve circulation and muscle strength.
• Top Posture Brace Options
Here are a few reasons we think you’ll want to include the Truweo as part of your posture retraining:
Effective: Many reviewers have expressed satisfaction with the way the Truweo brace reduces back pain and visibly improves their posture.
Lightweight: Its low profile design means this brace can be worn underneath or over top of your clothing.
Breathable Fabrics: Sweat won’t build up and irritate the skin when you’re wearing the Truweo, even if you must wear it for several hours at a time.
Washable: You can keep your back brace fresh with a quick hand wash in cold water as needed.
Durable: Neoprene reinforcements and a sturdy seatbelt material are used to ensure the straps will withstand daily wear.
Exchangeable/Refundable: If you do happen to receive a faulty product, an exchange or refund will be accommodated.
Customer-Preferred: With thousands of good reviews and appreciative feedback from consumers, it seems that the Truweo is a quality product worth investing in.
• Advantages of Better Posture
Posture is linked to so many parts of our lives. Physical pain, mental wellbeing, self-esteem and social connections are all impacted by the body’s posture.
While there are many options for treating individual symptoms, you can create a heathy foundation by first beginning with your posture. Good posture decreases the severity of many common ailments, giving you a boost forward on your journey to wellness.
Better posture can translate to:
- A better mood.
- Better digestion.
- Less lower back pain.
- Improved circulation.
- Slimmer, stronger appearance.
- Less strain across the shoulders.
- Increased feelings of confidence.
- Improved core and pelvic strength.
- Others perceiving you as more confident.
- More energy for work and leisure activities.
- Fewer tension headaches interrupting your day.
• Step-by-Step Instructions for Using a Posture Brace
- Before you set off on your posture retraining, take your chest measurement. It’s simple: Wrap a measuring tape under your arms, behind your back and around the widest part of your chest.
- The Truweo Posture Corrector will fit a size 30″ (extra small) up to a 43″ (large) chest. This is a great option if you are within this size range. This quality posture corrector is available at Amazon.
- If your measurement is upwards of 44″, consider the Donnie Thompson Casual Bowtie. For this option, remember to always order one size up from the size recommended on the Casual Bowtie sizing chart. This posture corrector is available at Rogue Europe and many other websites.
- Once you receive your back brace, begin to customize the fit. There is a velcro height adjuster on the back of your Truweo. Move the adjuster lower down if you have a tall torso. For those with a short torso, you’ll need to move the adjuster up higher.
- Loosen up each of the shoulder straps just enough so you can slip the Truweo on like a backpack.
- Check the back of your brace in a mirror. The straps should run horizontal across the back. If not, move the height adjuster up or down accordingly.
- Go ahead and tighten your shoulder straps next. Tug upwards on each of the two shoulder strap velcro tabs until the posture corrector is firmly in place. Then press the tabs down against the velcro along the straps.
- If you’re not sure how much to tighten the straps, stand with your back up against a wall and adjust the posture corrector until you can easily rest your shoulders flat on the wall. Ease your body into the routine of wearing the posture corrector by using it for just 15 minutes a day at first. Taper up to two hours per day, wearing the Truweo for progressively longer each day.
- Your posture will improve over the course of the 14 to 30 days of retraining. As a result, you will notice your back brace becomes looser throughout this time. Simply retighten the shoulder straps.
- It is recommended that you commit about 30 days to posture retraining. After that point, you may stop wearing your back brace and use it on an as-needed basis.
Instructive video on how to wear the Truweo:
• When Will You Start Your Posture Journey?
Taking care of your health doesn’t need to be complicated. A simple, good quality posture brace paired with a daily walk can go a long way towards improving muscle strength, circulation and reducing back pain.
The Truweo will act as a guide, holding your body’s posture upright as your muscle memory adjusts. Wearing it won’t interrupt your daily routine, as it can be worn at your desk, while driving or while you are out and about.
Begin your journey towards a healthier body through better posture by ordering your own Truweo Posture Corrector online, no hassle.